An equanimous intellect is an intellect that does not discriminate between good and bad, high and low, joy and misery, pain and pleasure ~ Sadhguru
How do we continue to cultivate a lifestyles which will go a long way and help us make over for better?
A Few Tips –
At mealtimes it is advised to have fill the stomach with food, one quarter with water and leave the remaining quarters empty. Eat only to satisfy hunger and not so much that the feeling of heaviness or laziness occurs. Eat to live rather than live to eat something which we have been hearing since our childhood but always thought it to be a joke.
On this journey towards finding balance, our physical body is an instrument or vehicle for our soul and just like any other vehicles, this body/car has specific requirements which must be fulfilled for it to function smoothly and supply the optimum mileage.
Now how will this happen ? This will come from balancing every aspect of our life (we will take that in another blog) One of the major aspect is food – proper diet which comes from the correct type of food gives the body energy it needs to work, grow and maintain itself from vital energy that is air, water and food.
Being vegetarian (click here to read a list of great vegetarian foods) is of course an individual choice and this topic has been discussed by everyone from philosophers to anatomist. Solely from the health perspective , meat is high in cholesterol and uric acid, as well as additives and preservatives all of which contribute to a multitude of diseases.
Since all energy originates from the sun, we instinctively realize that the closer to the source we eat, the more potent is that energy. Eating a wholesome diet is a very good start to making positive changes, it is the opening of the door to a healthier and happier way of life. Some changes may seem easy, but others take a bit longer.
Following suggestions combined with yoga ( Read the lifetime benefits of yoga) will help make the positive changes permanent.
1. 12 sun salutations. This is the best warm up exercise and does full body stretching.
2. Practice deep abdominal breathing through Pranayama as there are several other remarkable benefits of practicing deep belly breathing.
3. Corpse pose (Shavasana). This relaxes whole body, releases stress, fatigue, depression and tension.
4. Eliminate meat from your diet and cut down on fried foods.
5. Drink 10 glasses of water daily and eat one raw salad everyday.
6. Replace one meal each week with a glass of freshly made juice.
7. If you smoke, drink, replace them with abdominal breathing.
8. Don’t go to past and future, focus only in present by concentration exercises.
9. Refrain from swearing and using abusive language.
10. Meditate. Sit silently for at least 20 minutes daily with the mind focused only on breathe.
11. Read something of inspiration and funny daily.
You should always begin and end with a few minutes relaxation in the corpse pose followed by ‘OM’ which is the original mantra, the root of all sounds and letters. To chant the mantra, the sound should start deep within the body and slowly brought upwards to join the sound which then resonates through the head.
Do share what step you have taken this year to give yourself a form of expression that’s personal to you?