Running a half marathon is on most Bucket Lists.
It really is a big deal because you can never really fake one. Needs a training plan, consistent practice and commitment of time to slay this dragon. The takeaways – endless BRAGGING RIGHTS which will make you insufferable to your family, friends and strangers alike! Of course, other by products are fitness and an addiction to running!!
And the Mecca to crack this venerable goal is the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon. This year’s Avatar of the ADHM is bigger than ever ! The tenth edition is called ADHMX (no prizes for guessing the obvious) ! Like last time, getting an entry into the haloed portals of Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on 19 Nov 2017 is for the A-list of runners only. You need a timing certificate to apply – this weeds out the walkers who apply for a lark and brings about a seriousness amongst the ones who will run. Talk about killing two birds with one stone – WELL DONE Race Director!
The buzz is already there. The experienced ones have set their targets and started serious training. The new ones – got their timing certificates and are in a registering frenzy. Their questions are endless, Google is sick of answering their queries about running. Butterflies in their stomachs as they await confirmation with bated breaths. The awesomeness of the challenge will truly sink in once the confirmation arrives in the mail - self doubts, lack of confidence. Welcome to the tribe.
Rain check – running a half marathon is not about having a training plan and plugging away mile after mile. HELL NO!!!! It is about passion in the heart, fire in the belly, mind over mattress, it’s about physical pains which you never knew existed, it is about irritated family and friends, excitement of the buildup, the race day jitters and finally crossing the finish line looking ‘Oh So Cool’.
Happy Feet – a new series of 8 articles on race motivation, technical running stuff, mental hacks and trivia. QED Mr/Ms FIRST TIMER !!
- Building Speed : Attaining speed is a carefully planned mix of speedwork, tempo runs, strength and flexibility training. Click here for everything a budding half marathoner wants to know about building.
- Running Form : How to work on a great running form? Click here for how to get the body to run as a one in total balance and harmony?
- Mind Over Matter : Mind over matter is a choice – a choice to believe. Every runner must beat her insecurities, doubts and fear. Click here for some mid-training motivation!
- Tempo Runs : The ability to run with sustained speed is the key to achieving a personal best time in a Half Marathon. This ability comes from tempo runs. How to work on tempo runs - Click Here
- Hydration and Nutrition : How to understand and implement the hydration and nutrition aspects of the half marathon? Click here
- Tapering : What is it, how to do it and when to do it? If done right, it promises upto 3% increase in your personal best timing? Click here to know about it!
- Race Day - The buzz and the chatter of the race day is making us light headed and confused. Click here for tips to help you focus and crack that PB
Gee Ess, a runner-thinker-blogger, is also the master-crafter of this 8 part series called Happy Feet. The series is all about running your First Half Marathon. His vision behind writing the Happy Feet Series is to create a set of self-sufficient informational and educational articles on every aspect of a half marathon that a first timer should be looking at!
Always looking for the next big high -physical, social, intellectual or spiritual, Gee Ess got hooked onto endurance running with ADHM 2014. A multitude of full and half marathons since then, he enjoys penning down the intriguing nuances of running that go beyond and hit the mind of a runner.