Breaking Status Quo - Being Awesome
There is fit, then there is healthy and beyond that is Wellthy.fit…..being awesome in mind, body and spirit ! It stokes the fire within, keeps the child in you alive and celebrates life ! And that happens only when you step out of your comfort zone to grow constantly and have rich experiences. You ask ‘Comfort Zone ?’ – a familiar place (mentally and physically) where you are at ease, in control with low anxiety. In other words the daily lives of most of us – routine, low thrill, little personal growth…STATUS QUO !
The Concept : Break habits, find meaningful experiences
Most people believe that to become the best you can be or to have that awesome experience they must make revolutionary changes in the way they think, feel, behave, take that big holiday, etc, etc….scary thoughts….better to stay in the comfort zone ! So….awesomeness and awesome experiences rarely happen ! But Wellthy.Fit says otherwise – have a big aim but make small, incremental and simple lasting changes to make/break habits and have new and meaningful experiences everyday to see the magic unfold ! Three real-life examples :-
- A budding runner did planks for 10 mins for 21 days. Result – tight abs and a 30 sec improvement in her 5K timing.
- A young man took one candid picture of his wife everyday. Result – he became an amateur photographer who also strengthened his love-bond…the flipside…he was beleaguered by the trick question, ‘Am I looking fat in this picture ?’
- A harassed and constantly tired Mom whispered five loving lines in her daughter’s ear just before she fell asleep for 21 days. It is now a lifetime habit and a cherished moment of the day for both Mom and daughter. See the beautiful result below.
Imagine…just imagine….the cumulative result of just 1% improvement per day…the end result of small things done incrementally, day after day, is staggering …..WELCOME to AWESOMENESS !
Making the Magic Happen
‘If knowledge was everything, we would all be billionaires with six-pack abs ! What really matters is what we consistently do !’
Will 21 days help you make/break new habits – of course not ! It takes much longer. It’s an urban myth. But committing to 21 days gives you a challenge which is both palatable and doable. Enough time to really try out something and get the true feel of a new habit or experience and then decide to continue with it or not. What we are looking for is a reason to wake up excited and passionate every day and sleep happily tired every night – day after day ! A few pointers:-
- Start with just one simple and easy goal which takes little time. Choose from fitness, nutrition, hobbies or life-skills (a few options are given below).
- Commit to 21 days of doing it consistently. Perfection is over-rated. Imperfection is acceptable once in a while – just don’t miss days.
- Read or learn about it – the basic concept and the correct way to do it. Don’t get lost in details – the big picture and consistency are more important.
- Don’t wait for the perfect time to start. You will always be short of time and daily routine/activities will suck your life-force – IGNORE them and you will pleasantly learn that they don’t matter so much !
- Life/sh*t will happen and you will miss days – bounce back with a vengeance.
- The initial inspired start will be followed by a ‘Ah forget it, give up or what the hell phase’! Fight through it ! Making or breaking habits does not happen without commitment and sacrifice.
- Make the challenge both fail-safe and idiot-proof (from your unbelieving mind and the nay-sayers). Use life-hacks such as – a buddy, daily public Facebook posts, a calendar with large red crosses for every day you do it (believe me keeping the chain alive is a killer-motivator), not sleeping till you have done it, etc ! Celebrate every small victory!
- Keep a log. Your aim is to learn it once and use it for the rest of your lifetime.
The Victorious End-state
Every challenge you finish will add to your skills/capability or give you a rich new experience. Stack them up incrementally one after another and you suddenly find yourself at a totally new level – constantly growing, learning, experiencing…With every victory and celebration you will grow in confidence. Time now for you to switch to bigger and more complex challenges….and soon you will realize that YOU ARE AWESOME – IMPOSSIBLE NOTHING FOR YOU !
Few starter 21 Day Challenges
Your identity is much more than your net worth or appointment or rank or the corner office. Very soon you could be the Father/Mom/Spouse/Parent/Friend who values and cherishes relationships or the celebrity marathoner or the super flexible Yogi or the cool guy who blogs or the gifted photographer or the wine connoisseur or the gourmet chef or the master storyteller or a rockstar coach for the local kids or the investment expert or the bungee-jumper who plays the Saxophone or the Hawaian guitar or the Flute…..the list is endless !
You are meant to SHINE…Go forth and be AWESOME!!!
This piece on Being Awesome is written by Gee Ess - who truly believes in breaking the comfort zone every now and then and filling up his life with a new high and new rush be it physical, spiritual or intellectual. He is a regular blogger at WellthyFit writing on the technicalities of running marathons, keeping the running community motivated and pushing people to explore their limits in every arena of life!
His favorite and everlasting quote is - Dreams are not those that come in your sleep, Dreams are those that don't let you sleep.